Wednesday, July 30, 2008

the larva, in its first instar



So, here she is, the larva that we seem to have generated. For those of you not completely familiar with our own, strange species, humans have internal fertilization and prolonged incubation of what, were we a member of a more normal species, (class insecta, for instance) would be a first or second instar larva. I included an image of a Philianthis sp. larva, a bee-hunting wasp, for comparison.

We, somewhat lovingly, refer to her as "the parasite' because she drains resources from her mother via a big suckerlike appendage called a "placenta". Not a parasite in the ecological sense, of course, we anticipate an increase in Darwinian fitness. I already like her, in fact, she demands sushi and sleeps a lot, likes music and wakes up early in the morning.

2 comments:

Gina and Tim said...

She likes sushi?!?! I can't wait to meet her!

Pelly said...

There's my girl! Yay!

She's far cuter than most larva. I request--nay, I demand--more pictures. The original communal goth larva (known here as S-version 1.0) says it looks like her new "little sister" is trying to push her way out. At the very least, I think she's banging on the glass.

"Knock it off up there. That's really pissing me off!"

I leave it up to you, as a future daddy, to explain to my child how familial connections work. She refuses to believe me.