Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chalybion californicum speaks

I am a lovely, silvery blue, my finish like chrome. Please don't hold it against me, spider, that I must lay this egg on you. You are paralyzed because I injected venom into your brain, and destroyed your ability to anything about the horrible things that are soon to happen to you. This is how I make more copies of my kind. For that reason, my beautiful child will hatch and devour your, slowly at first, drinking the fluid from seeping wounds, until eventually she will end your life and eat those parts of you that she cannot devour without doing so. You will feel every minute germ of the pain. I have not dulled your agony, but I have taken the liberty of stuffing you into a deep hole with no possible chance of escape. There, you will wait with three other captives, who impotently fear for their own destruction. They will be devoured next. There is nothing that can be done about any of this. Wasps must exist to destroy spiders the way spiders must exist to destroy moths and there is no grand purpose to any of it. None at all. Eventually, my child will consume all of you, even those spindly legs of yours, spin a cocoon, and in her time, destroy other members of your species. I destroy and destroy again. This is who I am and I am lovely for it.

No comments: